Saturday, July 28, 2012

The Paralleladox


I recently had a conversation with someone who asked, “In times of darkness, do you ever consider turning to God.”

“No,” I responded,   ”However, I have considered turning for God.  Spinning I call it.   But the act seems to make me dizzy, and does little to help the darkness.”

He said, “ I’m going to pray for you.”

“Okay, I will pray against you.  We can have the prayoffs, see who comes out on top.  You have 2 God, I have 4 God, we will know the winner because they will have 8 God.  Delicious.”

“But that doesn’t make any sense.”

“Yes, but I know that doesn’t make any sense.  That is the difference between me and you.”

“Okay.  Well then, what do you believe? What does your religion look like?”

“If I had to draw my religion, I would have to create a new shape that captures both its parallel sides and its paradoxical nature: a paralleladox.  A paralleladox has sides that seem to be parallel, but actually are not parallel at all.  In fact, they are not even there.  Yet, strangely, somehow they are.  And parallel at that.

“The paralleladox is big in the mime community.  It vanishes in the dark, and appears again in the light.  So, if ever I find myself in a dark place, I turn on a lamp. The Paralleladox appears.  On a unicorn.  What about your religion?  Does your religion ride a unicorn?”

“Of course not,” he replied.  “That would be ridiculous.”

No comments:

Post a Comment